Sunday, August 06, 2006

You Know You're in India When...



...school is called off because of rain. There I was at 6:30 am, groggily making my bed and cursing the Rotary club of Udhna, my counselor, the Indian government and all the forces that combine to make me go to school, when Rutvik ran in and told me that the reservoir at the river had run over and school was cancelled. We went up to the terrace and sure enough, our bungalow was surrounded on all sides by brown, muddy water. It's currently rising into the basement, with no signs of stopping. We've just gotten word that they will be releasing more water from the reservoir. People are slogging around up to their thighs in water, and we're pretty much stranded as no one has the courage to try taking a motorbike or car out. We ate leftover pizza for breakfast. Fortunately, the power hasn't gone out - yet.
Everyone else is running around, moving things up from the basement and constructing a makeshift wall around the home theater (if water gets in there, the wiring is doomed - a scary thought), and talking really fast in Gujarati. I can only make out "panni" (water). I was helping out for a while, until it became clear that I was mostly just in the way, so I've retreated to my room until the madness dies down. The panni might not drain away for a few days - hooray!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Colleen! You don't know how much your posts brighten my day! I am still in Yakima. Still. Lol just like you were so then that must mean once I get down there I am going to have a fabulous time like you are! Right? lol I think that's how it should work. Anyways my cool plane present is just sitting there begging me to open it but I can't. It is sitting next to my pile of crap that I need to narrow down..still. Might go do that after I call and check on my visa. Do believe me you will get another comment today if I get the blasted little thing :) What did you bring for gifts? Cause I really need to get on that and a hint or two would be greatly appreciated. Keep havin fun while the panni chills in the streets. I'm learning Gujarati! Oh yeah how is that going? Take care -Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Que paso?? what was the aftermath?

Anonymous said...

Govinda. Govinda. Govinda. Govinda. Govinda. Govinda.

Why did you suggest that movie Sarkar, the song was stuck in our heads for two days.

Courtney said...

They have all my stuff now! I leave Saturday morning and I'll be in Peru on Sunday morning! Yay! Lol maybe my next post will be from another continent!
Have fun Colleen! You have almost been there a whole month?! That's so crazy!

Anonymous said...

Colleen has been marooned by the flood - she's fine but computers are just not a priority right now. The following link will give you an idea of what is and has been going on in Surat: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/specialcoverage/1843610.cms

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is wild. an acquaintance of mine (who also keeps a blog, Tristram Shandy), managed to visit india recently without experiencing any of the havoc you describe.