Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pictures pictures pictures...

Alrighty. Here are some of the latest pictures - unfortunately I couldn't take any of the Wara wedding as my batteries were dead, but we did attend another wedding later. This first picture is a roti that I myself actually rolled out. Note its (almost) roundness!! To give you an idea of what an accomplishment this is, it took me about two weeks of rolling out flower-shaped rotis or rotis with funny little protrusions from the side to finally get this one right. I'm quite proud of myself.














And take a look at this lovely school bathroom...this should give you an idea of what we have to deal with here. I actually didn't use this one, I only went in to change my clothes, but it was so raunchy I just had to take a picture to show you guys. FYI: the stalls contain identical toilets to the ones against the wall. I guess if you don't like the idea of squatting next to your neighbor, then you can use the stall.














Now I don't know if you can even see this next picture clearly, but it is a picture of a groom on horseback, on the way to his wedding. It was quite a function - the wedding and reception were held on a plot the size of a football field, with thousands of guests. When Indians throw a party, they don't mess around.














This next picture is me with my Wara host mom (she's on the left, wearing her rida) and my current host mom.














And lastly there's my beautiful wedding mehndi. At an Indian wedding, all the female guests get to apply mehndi to their hands. I love it! I'm taking classes soon, so I can give everyone cool henna tattoes when I go home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh good, pictures finally!! yay :) Now that your learning how to do it, I'll be expecting some mehndi all over me when you get back here!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that mehndi looks really cool! Why is it darker on your hands?