Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mehndi!

I got mehndi (henna) put on my hands and arms a few days ago! It's an incredibly intricate, red-brown design running up and down the front and back of my hands and arms, almost up to the elbow. I love it, but there are, however, a few things that nobody ever told me about mehndi, including:
a) It stinks to high heaven for the first couple of days, and for the whole evening, Rutvik and Revati (my younger sister) gave me a wide berth. In fact, only Pooja and my mom, who like the smell for some reason, would come near me,
b) It takes 4 (four!) hours to dry, during which time I had to sit and do nothing, arms held stiffly out to my sides. Thank heaven for TV. After it got somewhat dry, I ate dinner, but I felt like a cripple because Moti-Mummy (Mota-Daddy's wife) had to tear my roti into tiny pieces, which I mixed in a bowl with vegetables and eat with a spoon.
c) Also, it gets a lot darker on the palms than anywhere else. Revati informed me knowledgeably that this was because of the "sweatness" on my palms.
Unfortunately it's starting to fade, but still looks really cool.
I had my first d'oh moment with Gujarati the other day...I met the 6-year-old daughter of the servants at another house a while ago. She did the normal thing that Indian kids do when they see me, ie stare wide-eyed and unmoving. So to break the ice, I asked her "Tamaruu'n nam shu'n chhe?" which my (rather outdated, as I soon realized) Gujarati textbook informed me meant "What is your name?" However, this question only made her eyes widen further, and she stayed silent. I asked Pooja about it later, and it turns out I asked the poor little girl the Gujarati equivalent of "What is thy name, dear madam?"
Hmmm...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are sooo many Indian restaurants around here, I'm going to go to one sometime and think of you. : ) Is there anything in particular you would recommend or more importantly, think I would like?? I misssss you!!

Anonymous said...

HEY WOW THIS IS A COOL SITE! just saying hi,and i hope your having fun.

Courtney said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Courtney said...

haha oh colleen...i love those language moments. yesterday my fam asked what kind of stuff were in waffles and i was trying to explain that it´s kind of like pancakes and i said pancaca which is basically 'sh!t bread' in stead of pankeki (I don´t know how to spell the correct word lol) oooh man how they laughed.

Courtney said...

and that´s so sweet that you got henna..you´ll have to learn and then practice on me when you get back...i´ll smell like a rose :)