Friday, July 28, 2006

Colleen Has Finally Learned How to Title Her Posts

So I'm pretty sure that it has rained more in the last 5 minutes here than it does in a year in Yakima. I like rain, but this stuff is best enjoyed inside. It's not so appealing when the streets are flooded with muddy brown water and you have to ride around on a motorbike with raindrops stinging your face. I prefer a more mellow Seattle rain.
Hm, not too much to report here...can it be that I'm already getting used to life in India? School is improving. I've started dance classes, Hindi lessons, and Indian history lessons. (I never thought I'd willingly submit to a history class ever again, but these past few weeks have been full of surprises.) I learned a Rajasthani folk dance today! It's all about this woman whose husband has just returned from war and she's primping herself for his arrival. We mime putting on earrings and the dot on the forehead. However, whenever I'm tired or something, my host dad is surprisingly willing to let me skip a day. He agrees with me that school is the worst part of the exchange, bless his heart.
Oh! I forgot to mention that Surat is hosting the 3rd annual Asian Gymnastics Championship, starting tomorrow! It's quite a big deal for this (relatively) small Indian city, and our teachers have been encouraging us to skip (or "bunk" as they call it) school to watch. I'm looking forward to it.
For those of you with Netflix - I highly recommend a movie called Sarkar. It's like the Bollywood version of the Godfather, starring The Indian Actor. His name is Amitabh Bachchan, or something like that, but people around here call him "Big B". I find this much easier to say.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the pictures????

Courtney said...

I love reading your blog :)
Sent you an email tambien.
I want to go to Peru...ahora!
Keeping having fun!
Oh and I agree with the "where are the pictures?" hehe

Courtney said...

Oh man, I just found out like 4 hours ago...I leave on Thursday. CRAZY. So that means that a week from today I will be writing you from PERU!
Love you Colleen!
Agh I'm so giddy I could sing!

Anonymous said...

I also agree: Must....have.....pictures!

love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»