Thursday, July 13, 2006

I made it! After the longest day of my lifetime and a harrowing drive from Bombay to Surat (Indian driving consists mainly of swerving around madly in the streets - which have no lanes marked - honking at everything that moves), I have been installed in my room in an incredibly posh apartment. Life is good......my family's great, they're a jolly bunch. Pooja (the sister I'm rooming with) is really sweet and everyone's friendly in general. I have seen so much new, unfamiliar, amazing stuff today that I'm kind of at a loss to describe it all. I saw my first holy cow! Also a camel. The highways are lined with cheery signs such as "Speeding thrills but kills". I start gujarati lessons tomorrow! It's incredibly hot and sticky here. There is so much poverty. People like to stare at me. The food is amazing, and I'm being fed a seemingly endless amount. I'm totally messed up as far as time. The toilets........well lets just say that apparently toilet paper is a new phenomenon still regarded with suspicion by the general population. Well I'm a little dazed right now, so I'll write more later. I love you all!
Oh yeah...I changed my settings so that (I think) anybody can comment, not just other bloggers. Somebody give it a try and let me know if it works.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Stay off the trains. Did you see any elephants yet. My boss' boss has to go to our plants in India about once a year and says you occasionaly see elephants in traffic.

Dan D. in Tennessee

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm so jealous! Hearing about everything reminds me of Japan...*sigh* Talk to you later.
~Taylor

Anonymous said...

Hey! Wow hearing about everything reminds me of Japan and how jealous I am that I'm still in Yakima. Hope everything continues to go well. Talk to you later.
~Taylor

Anonymous said...

when i drive past your house, the acura is no longer in the street :(

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh, I am so glad you made it safe. I heard something about a train bombing and I freaked out.
Aggghhhh lol you are in India!
Does your fam speak English and are you learning....Hindi??
ooh and what was it like meetin your fam cause I still haven't contacted mine. Lol I don't even have a ticket...visa problems suuuuuck.
Miss you whenever I drive by starbucks!

Anonymous said...

so...what do they use instead of toilet paper?

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

i wish i was in india.....

katy j.

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»